- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Typical Education Level
Honours, Bachelor's degree
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 9% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
£39,644 Average wage
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for research or development manager is £39,644
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 1,335. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for research or development manager roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £39,644 per year. That is about £3,304 per month or £20.33 per hour. New workers generally start on £22,116, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £70,095
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 1,335 people are employed in the region.
Occupations similar to:
Research or development manager