- Fits spectacles and advises patient on lens care and any other difficulties likely to be experienced.
- Ensures that completed spectacles conform to specification and fit the patient correctly and comfortably.
- Prepares detailed instructions for workshop.
- Advises patient on lens type and choice of spectacle frames.
- Interprets prescription and measures patient.
Typical Education Level
Level 4 NVQ; Intermediate, DipHE, DipFE
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 14% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for dispensing optician is £22,659
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 117. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for dispensing optician roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £22,659 per year. That is about £1,888 per month or £11.62 per hour. New workers generally start on £18,262, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £37,710
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 117 people are employed in the region.