Weston College values the views and ideas of its students and is committed to involving them in its strategic decision making and operational management. Having your say could not be easier – you can let us know what you think through the website, social media, responding to student surveys, putting comments in our suggestion boxes, attending course review meetings, through tutorials and by talking to the staff who teach and support you.
Make a difference – become your class representative
During induction each class will be given the opportunity to elect a student as a class representative. The class representative will be invited to termly forums to share the views and ideas of students in their class.
When you enrol at the College you automatically become part of the Student Union (SU). This is run by a Student Executive body that has been voted in by fellow students. Learners elected onto the Student Executive come through the Student Representative structure.
What will the Student Union do for you?
- Stand up for your rights both locally and nationally
- Organise trips and activities e.g. Fright Night at Thorpe Park, Madam Tussauds and a shopping trip show etc.
- Volunteer and raise money for a nominated charity each year e.g. in Rag Week 2018/19 the Student Union raised £6,000 for Weston Hospice Care and Young Minds
- Sell Totum Extra cards that give you discounts on the high street
- Listen to your concerns and feedback to management and College Governors.
Getting involved in the Student Union is rewarding and looks great on your CV. A reward scheme is in place for students who get involved in the Student Union or a Class Rep or Student Council member. The more you contribute the greater the level of reward – it pays to get involved!
The Totum Card
Once you are a member of the Student Union you can order an Totum card online or through the SU. The Totum card costs £12 for one year, £22 for two years or £32 for three years and gives you great discounts at your favourite shops, restaurants, cinemas and other places across the UK.