General Welder, Apprenticeship
General Welders will be trained in all aspects of welding and will have the skill to:
- Produce good quality welds using two welding process/material type combinations (TIG, MMA, MIG/MAG, FCAW) and (Carbon and Low Alloy steel, High Alloy Ferritic/Martensitic Steel, Austenitic Stainless Steel, Nickel and Nickel Alloys, Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys) in two welding positions (Downhand, Horizontal, Vertical, Overhead).
- Attain a qualification in accordance with one of the following standards: ISO 9606 / ASME IX / BS4872 / AWS D1.1, determined by the employer. N.B. These qualifications are regarded as licences to practice in welding.
- Achieve a quality of work to meet international standards for dimensional and surface inspection (Visual, Magnetic Particle Inspection and Dye Penetrant Inspection).
- Position, prepare and check the welding equipment.
- Receive, handle and maintain consumables
- Prepare, check and protect materials and work area ready for welding.
- Complete and check the finished weld ready for inspection and report into the production control system.
- Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully accounted for in all the above.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is ongoing and uses a combination of approaches which includes direct observation, assessment of practical skills and some tests of knowledge as well.
What could I do after this course?
There are numerous pathways for General Welders who may wish to pursue higher level careers in welding. These include progression to Multi-Positional Welder, High Integrity Welder or Welding Instruction and Teaching, Welding Inspection and Managing and Supervising Welding Operations.
The candidate will be required to successfully achieve qualifications at level 1 in English and Mathematics and also to have taken examinations at level 2, for both subjects, within the period of apprenticeship if not already achieved.
What our students say
Owen Davies, Engineering Technician Apprenticeship
"I’ve enjoyed the apprenticeship as the units are varied and interesting. Also, The lecturers are very knowledgeable and helpful. Giving me the skills and experience for my future career. "
Studied: Engineering Technician Apprenticeship
What next? Completing the rest of his Apprenticeship with Airbus