More course dates announced soon
Access to HE: Teaching
This course is designed for people aged over 18 years and is perfect for anyone looking to start a career in the teaching profession or considering changing careers to work in these field.
Throughout this course, students will engage in a range of academic and practical activities aimed at developing a deep understanding of teaching methodologies, educational theories, and effective classroom management techniques. They will also explore the broader context of higher education, including educational policies, curriculum development, and assessment strategies.
Students will have the opportunity to explore topics through interactive lectures, group discussions, case studies, and practical teaching experiences. Emphasis will be placed on reflective practice and the application of theoretical concepts in real-world teaching scenarios.
You will study in college for 10 hours a week and complete the rest of your studies independently. If you are prepared to study hard, this is a great flexible course to fit around your lifestyle and working commitments - voluntary or paid work within related fields will strengthen your university application and is recommended.
The Weston College Access team personalise your schedule of learning to suit you, and this is one of the reasons we see success and progression to university rates significantly above the national average.
The course is well-established and widely accepted by universities, providing you with UCAS tariff points that are equivalent to three A Levels.
Key course topics include:
- Educational psychology: understanding how students learn and applying effective teaching strategies.
- Pedagogical approaches: exploring various teaching methods and instructional techniques for different learning styles.
- Curriculum design and development: designing and implementing curriculum plans that align with learning outcomes and institutional requirements.
- Inclusive education: creating inclusive learning environments that cater to diverse student populations.
- Classroom management: techniques for fostering a positive and engaging learning environment, addressing behavior issues, and promoting student participation.
- Assessment and feedback: Strategies for designing fair and effective assessments and providing constructive feedback to students.
- Educational technology: utilising technology tools and digital resources to enhance teaching and learning experiences.
- Research methods in education: developing research skills and understanding the importance of evidence-based practice in teaching.
- Professional development: exploring career pathways, professional ethics, and continuous learning opportunities within the field of higher education teaching.
You will be assessed by a combination of practical assessments, coursework, project work and examinations.
This course will help you progress onto a variety of degree courses within education pathways, including University Centre Weston’s:
- BA (Hons) Early Years Education
- BA (Hons) Education, Society and Childhood
- BA (Hons) SEND and Inclusive Practice
Plus, a range of degrees at universities across the country, including;
- Early Years Education
- Primary Education
At Weston College, we're passionate about helping our adult learners prepare for a bright future. We understand that whether you're looking to boost your career prospects, learn new skills or even switch careers entirely, it can be a daunting process. That's why our friendly and highly qualified careers advisors are here to guide you every step of the way.
Our dedicated team of experts is on hand to provide you with tailored advice and support to help you make the right decisions about your future career and course choices. Whether you need help developing your employability skills, exploring your options or deciding which course to take, we're here to help you achieve your goals.
We also offer a free Career Coach programme, which provides a detailed careers assessment to help you discover your strengths and interests. You can then discuss your results with one of our advisors, who can point you in the right direction and recommend courses that will help you achieve your career aspirations.
Plus, as a Microsoft College, all of our students and apprentices get FREE access to LinkedIn Learning. This is an amazing online platform that offers expert-led courses to help you develop your business, technology-related, and creative skills.
At Weston College, we're dedicated to helping you achieve success in your career, whatever your goals may be. So why not take that first step today and join our adult community of learners? We can't wait to help you unlock your full potential!
It is expected that applicants should have a GCSE grade 4/C in English and maths (Level 2 equivalents will be considered, but applicants must check that this will be accepted by their chosen university prior to starting on the Access course). Applicants should check the English, maths and science requirements for their chosen degree course in addition to these requirements.
Financing Your Course
At Weston College, we believe that learning should be accessible to everyone. That's why we offer a range of adult courses that could be free or significantly discounted. Apply online today and our friendly team will be in touch to see how we can ensure you can enrol and get the best price for your course. Don't let finances hold you back from pursuing your passion and advancing your career. Apply now and let us help you achieve your goals.
Most people qualify for FREE tuition and material fees due to discounts we offer. Click on the icon(s) below to find out what you’ll need to pay.