I want to be a
Civil Engineering Senior Technician, Apprenticeship
This apprenticeship is for school leavers (16-19s), and will prepare you to coordinate, manage and provide the technical planning, design, building, management, maintenance or dismantling of the built environment (such as buildings, structures, parks and public spaces, schools, offices, museums, hospitals). It also looks into infrastructure, such as transportation (road, rail, bridges, tunnels, ports and airports), water and waste management, marine and coastal engineering (irrigation systems, sustainable drainage systems (SuDS), flood, river and coastal defences), water and power supplies (utilities, hydropower, power stations, nuclear plants, on and offshore wind farms).
Civil engineering senior technicians use and apply their technical knowledge, underpinned by scientific principles and theories, propose numerous suitable techniques, procedures and methods to undertake and deliver civil engineering solutions. They need to source, review, analyse and evaluate a range of data and information, perform advanced calculations, and analyse civil engineering problems to reach proven solutions.
What does this course involve?
- Propose civil engineering solutions to well defined technical problems
- Deliver appropriate and effective technical civil engineering solutions, by selecting, reviewing and evaluating data and technical information
- Manage civil engineering tasks and supervise team members, by applying engineering management principles to effectively identify, organise and use resources within civil engineering projects to specification
- Contribute to the design of civil engineering systems
- Apply appropriate materials, equipment, technologies and processes, to plan, undertake and analyse civil engineering activities
- Ensure compliance with health, safety & welfare requirements, apply safe systems of work.
How will the course be assessed?
To achieve this apprenticeship standard, the employer, training provider and apprentice will agree when the apprentice is ready and competent to undertake the independent end assessment, which will test their skills knowledge and behaviours required for this role.
What future study opportunities and careers are there?
There will be a wide range of opportunities to be involved with in a structured career path, such as building, civil engineering and specialist occupations.
What do I do next?
- Ready to apply – please use the ‘apply now’ button at the top of this page.
- I’d like to visit and see the facilities and chat to staff – see when our next open event is
- I have a quick question – use our Live Chat facility on the bottom right of this page
Individual employers will determine their own entry requirements, but the typical entry requirements for this Apprenticeship will be five GCSEs or equivalent, including Maths, English and a Science; or a Level 2 Apprenticeship.