More course dates announced soon
Awareness of Mental Health Problems, Certificate
Did you know one in four British adults experience at least one diagnosable mental health problem each year? The most common is mixed anxiety and depression, but there are many other issues which have a huge impact on a person’s life and the people around them.
Anyone who works around people with mental health problems needs to understand each condition fully. Likewise, anyone who has seen someone experience mental health problems would benefit from understanding the meaning, causes, effects, symptoms and management of the condition. This nationally recognised qualification covers all of these aspects and is the perfect place to start.
Who is suitable?
The qualification is suitable for anyone who wishes to increase their knowledge of mental health problems, the factors that cause mental ill-health and the ways that mental health problems can be managed. The course is also suitable for those who already work in this area, anyone who wants to secure a job linked to mental health and anyone who wants to gain more knowledge for personal reasons.
The course will provide learners with opportunities to engage with online taught sessions and face to sessions during the 16 weeks to provide wider thinking, knowledge and understanding of mental health. Your first session will include a induction to support your understanding assessment expectations and topic to ensure your success.
Gain an understanding of
- Mental health - you will learn about what is meant by 'mental health' and its impact. You will also look at the legal frameworks which ensure high-quality care is provided.
- Stress - gain an understanding of stress and its causes, as well as the effects stress can have on individuals and their daily life. You will also gain an understanding of how stress can be managed.
- Anxiety - the causes of anxiety and how it affects the individual and others.
- Phobias - the causes of phobias and learn about how those with phobias can manage them.
- Depression - the causes and effects of depression on individuals and those around them. You will gain an in-depth knowledge of how depression can be managed.
- Post-natal depression - what is meant by the term 'postnatal depression'. You will look into how postnatal depression not only affects women but the effect it can have on others around them.
- Bipolar disorder - its causes and the effects it can have on individuals and their daily lives. You will also gain an understanding of how bipolar disorder can be managed.
- Schizophrenia - look at the causes of schizophrenia and the media's representation of this condition.
- Dementia - you will not only learn about what dementia is and how it affects an individual but will gain an understanding of how dementia can be managed.
- Eating disorders - the causes of eating disorders and how they can affect the individual and others.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - the causes of this condition and the effect it can have on an individual and others.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - its causes and how it might affect the individual and others. You will also learn about ways in which OCD can be managed.
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - its causes and how it can affect the individual. You will also gain an understanding of how PTSD can be managed.
In addition, you will develop an understanding of how to support the wellbeing of individuals suffering from mental health or facing issues that may eventually impact on their mental health.
The benefits of this course include:
- Learn from your own home with some face to face sessions
- Access to specialist support from a tutor weekly
- Access to our state-of-the-art simulation ward through Masterclasses and Workshops.
- Achieve a nationally recognised level 2 qualification
- Potential to progress on to further mental health training and/or careers
- Access to award-winning learning and assessment materials
- Funding available – speak to one of our team for more information and to see if you are eligible.
Career progression within the health and social care sectors will not always be vertical, it may also be horizontal. New ways of working and new roles are constantly evolving to meet the health and social care needs of the population. These new roles provide staff with opportunities to develop new knowledge and skills often described as ‘expanded’ roles. Additionally, this qualification will support individuals looking to retrain and explore employment opportunities in the Health and Social Care Sector.
Preparing learners for the future is an integral part of everything we do at Weston College. Whether you want to bolster your employment prospects, upskill or change careers, our friendly careers staff are committed to helping students get on the right career path.
As an adult learner at Weston College, you will have access to our spec
No formal entry requirements
Category & Subject AreaCounselling Counselling Courses for adults Courses for adults Health and Social Care
Most people qualify for FREE tuition and material fees due to discounts we offer. Click on the icon(s) below to find out what you’ll need to pay.
Supported Fee: £362.00 ?
Got a question?
Whatever you'd like to know, we're here to help...