More course dates announced soon
Careers in NHS (SWAP)
This three-week training programme can lead to a rewarding new career in many of over 350 different job roles within the NHS.
In addition to bespoke training from Somerset Foundation NHS Trust you will gain a Gateway Level 1 qualification in Health and Social Care including:
- Health and safety awareness
- Principles and values in health and social care
- Person-centred support in health and social care
- Service provision and roles within health and social care
- Introduction to mental health
- Working with others in health, social care and children’s and young people’s settings.
The first two weeks of training is delivered by Weston College via Microsoft Teams and the third week is delivered virtually by NHS staff with one day face-to-face training in Taunton.
A new SWAPs course starts every 3 weeks - to register your interest email: firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know when you will be available to start.
What previous students have to say
“The opportunity to get into NHS is one of the best things about it – it really is a great opportunity with the additional benefit of offering flexibility which is something I was after”. Jackie G
“I absolutely love it – it has been life changing! Everyone was so lovely and welcoming, making sure you were OK and helping you develop your skills at your own pace”. Claire W.
You will receive a guaranteed interview following the course which could lead to a role in the NHS with an expected starting salary at Band 2 or 3 £18,546 - £20,330
SWAPs develop your basic skills and knowledge to confidently apply for a variety of NHS job roles including:
- Flexible working - an immediate opportunity to work which is ideal for candidates seeking the flexibility of choosing their hours and easing back into work. These opportunities are in administration, Healthcare Assistant and Mental Health Support roles.
- Fixed term and permanent roles - this route offers the opportunity to access roles (fixed term and permanent) across all departments within the Trust. There are over 350 different jobs within the NHS – there really is something to suit everyone.
These two routes to employment are not mutually exclusive, many candidates work flexibly as they build-up their confidence and work experience and take the opportunity to try different departments around the Trust. Others take up opportunities presented by fixed term and permanent roles and use flexible shifts to top up their hours and income.
No formal entry requirements, however, you will need a good written and verbal English skills. You will also need access to a laptop or PC with internet access.
Category & Subject AreaCourses for adults Courses for adults Employment Support Employment Support Employment Support Health and Social Care Health and Social Care
iAn interview is required for this course.
Most people qualify for FREE tuition and material fees due to discounts we offer. Click on the icon(s) below to find out what you’ll need to pay.
Occupations related to Careers in NHS (SWAP)
Electrical or Electronics Technician
Electrical and electronics technicians perform a variety of miscellaneous technical support functions to assist with the design, development, installation, operation and maintenance of electrical and electronic systems.
Employment in region: 838 positions
Vehicle Technician, Mechanic or Electrician
Vehicle technicians, mechanics and electricians accept calls for help and repair and service the mechanical parts and electrical/electronic circuitry and components of cars, lorries, buses, motorcycles and other motor vehicles, and repair and service auto air-conditioning systems.
Employment in region: 6,132 positions