Understanding Nutrition and Health (Skills Network), Certificate
Nutrition is the key to a healthy body and mind and understanding the values of a diet and exercise plan is an important part of maintaining overall well-being.
This nationally recognised qualification explores influential factors such as the principles of healthy eating and weight management. The course also introduces nutrition in the context of eating disorders and explains how to prepare food safely in a home environment. Whether you want to improve your knowledge around diet and health for personal reasons or wish to develop your employment opportunities, this course provides a comprehensive understanding of the key topics surrounding nutrition and health.
Who is suitable?
The qualification is ideal for anyone who wishes to develop their knowledge and skills surrounding diet and health, different forms of nutrition, planning a weight management programme and food safety awareness.
What you will learn
Unit 1: Explore the principles of healthy eating In this unit, you will explore what a healthy diet is and how your diet directly affects your general health. You will also examine various lifestyle diseases, the role different nutrients play in assisting how your body functions and learn how to plan a healthy meal and prepare food safely.
Unit 2: Consider the nutritional needs of a variety of individuals This unit looks at how nutritional needs alter with age from children up to older people and focuses on the specific dietary requirements of these demographics. You will also learn the factors that create barriers to a healthy lifestyle.
Unit 3: Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet In this unit, you will gain an increased awareness of the information that is provided on food labels and how this can be used to plan healthier meals and encourage a healthier diet. You will also look at the advantages and disadvantages of food additives and evaluate your own diet.
Unit 4: The principles of weight management This unit explores the risks associated with ineffective weight management and highlights how to implement effective methods of weight management. You will look at how societal demands for a particular body image can negatively influence weight management and how to plan a short-term weight management programme that works for you.
Unit 5: Understanding eating disorders In this unit, you will study different eating disorders and their effect on health and well-being. You will also look in more detail at the complex connection between food and feelings and how to access information and support concerning eating disorders.
Unit 6: Principles of food safety for the home environment This unit will cover how to implement food safety in a safe environment, avoid contamination and identify hazards. You will also learn about the importance of personal hygiene when handling food.
The benefits of this course include:
- Learn from your own home, in your own time
- Access to our state-of-the-art simulation ward and laboratories through half-termly Masterclasses and Workshops.
- Achieve a nationally recognised level 2 qualification
- Access to award-winning learning and assessment materials
- Subject specialist support from a Tutor and access to a Learner Support Advisor for everyday queries
- Scan areas of the paper-based learning resources to unlock Augmented Reality (AR) content including:
- Virtual Tutors
- Video case studies
- 3D models
- Revisit unlocked content at any time from your account
- Stretch learning beyond the confines of the learning resources.
- Funding available – speak to one of our team for more information and to see if you are eligible.
Career progression within the active living, health and social care sectors will not always be vertical, it may also be horizontal. New ways of working and new roles are constantly evolving to meet the health and social care needs of the population. These new roles provide staff with opportunities to develop new knowledge and skills often described as ‘expanded’ roles. Additionally, this qualification will support individuals looking to retrain and explore employment opportunities in the Health and Social Care Sector.
This qualification supports progression to employment and progression within employment for the following job roles and workers:
- care assistant or worker
- personal care assistant
- support worker (supported living)
- key workers in domiciliary care services
- home care support worker
- healthcare support service worker
- healthcare assistant
- health education/promotion worker
- sport and exercise nutritionist
- exercise/fitness instructor
This course will enable you to progress onto a Level 3 in End of Life Care or a Health and Social Care related apprenticeship at Weston College. You may also choose to study another of our specialist Level 2 qualifications in Health and Social.
What are the entry requirements?
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification. However, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved our L1 AWARD IN PREPARING TO WORK IN ADULT SOCIAL CARE qualification.
Eligibility for FREE Distance Learning courses:
- Learners must be aged 19 years or over as at 31/08/19
- Must have lived in the EU for the last three years
- Must currently reside in England, in a post code outside of Greater Manchester, Liverpool City, Cambridge & Peterborough, Tees Valley and the West Midlands.
Please note: An administration fee of £100 will be incurred if you withdraw from the course. For funding reasons you can only enrol on one course at a time.