The Governing Body
WHO WE ARE
The College’s Governing Body is known as Weston College Corporation. Weston College was incorporated as a Further Education Corporation by the Further and Higher Education Act 1992.
The Board of Governors comprises 14 members and is appointed to oversee the strategic direction of the College.
Governors receive no remuneration and contribute their collective experience and skills to the Corporation in a non-executive capacity.
The statutory Instrument and Articles of Government set out the responsibilities of the Corporation and the Principal and provides the framework within which the Corporation must operate. The main responsibilities of the Corporation are:
- The determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and the oversight of its activities
- Approving the quality strategy of the institution
- The effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and safeguarding their assets
- Approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- The appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk
- Setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
Meet the Governors
Committees and Meetings
The Governing Body currently operates the following statutory committees:
- Audit Committee
- Search Committee
- Finance Committee
- Curriculum and Quality Committee
- Contracts and Commercial Committee
- Remuneration Committee.
- Prison Education Committee
- Subsidiaries Committee
The Corporation meets on a bi-monthly basis, with two development ‘away days’ each year, and the Finance Committee meets bi-monthly.
Meetings of the FE Governance Committee, HE Governance Committee and the Audit Committee take place three or four times a year.
The Search Committee meets as required to consider the appointment of new members and review the contribution of individual Governors on an annual basis.
The Remuneration Committees meet a minimum of once a year to review the performance and pay and conditions of senior post holders.
Requests for further information from the Governors meetings (including minutes from Governors meetings and the various Governors committee meetings) should be addressed to the Clerk.
Becoming a College Governor
The role of a Governor is interesting and varied and encompasses the following legal responsibilities:
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the College
- Determining the educational character and mission of the institution
- Ensuring effective and efficient use of College resources
- Ensuring the solvency of the institution
- Approving the Quality Strategy of the College.
- Attending bi-monthly meetings of the Corporation
- Reading papers in advance of meetings
- Participation in discussions and debates
- Gaining experience through membership of Corporation committees
- Participation in training events
- Attending our many varied social events
We are looking for dedicated people from all walks of life that can bring a variety of skills and experience to the role and have the qualities to support the College in its goal to become ‘outstanding’. Attributes may include:
- An understanding of, and interest in, education
- The ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to think forward and to be pro-active
- Specific expertise, e.g. financial or audit knowledge.
If you are interested in becoming a College Governor please get in touch with the Clerk on 01934 411 411 or email.
The Search Committee will give consideration to your application and will invite you to meet with them for an informal discussion.
If there is no vacancy on the Corporation at that time, but you are the type of person we are looking for, your details will be kept on a waiting list until a vacancy arises. If there is a vacancy, and you are the person we are looking for, a recommendation will be made by the Search Committee. The recommendation will be considered at the next meeting of the Corporation and your appointment confirmed. You will be provided with an induction pack and dates of forthcoming meetings.
You will then be ready to embark upon your new role as a Weston College Governor. The Clerk to the Corporation and the Chair will be on hand to support you every step of the way.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Contact the clerk
Whatever you'd like to know, we're here to help...