Manager or Director in Retail or Wholesale
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms.
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises.
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled.
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently.
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers.
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 18% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for manager or director in retail or wholesale is £24,233
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 8,293. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for manager or director in retail or wholesale roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £24,233 per year. That is about £2,019 per month or £12.43 per hour. New workers generally start on £12,878, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £46,383
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 8,293 people are employed in the region.