- Keeps accurate and confidential records.
- Refers to other appropriate sources of help.
- Presents different perspectives to the problem areas identified.
- Encourages clients to discuss their feelings in relation to their problems, aiming to ensure that an understanding of the issues is achieved.
- Meets clients face-to-face, working either one-to-one or with couples or families, or by telephone or internet.
Typical Education Level
Level 4 NVQ; Intermediate, DipHE, DipFE
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 31% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for counsellor is £21,991
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 453. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for counsellor roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £21,991 per year. That is about £1,833 per month or £11.28 per hour. New workers generally start on £9,360, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £30,257
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 453 people are employed in the region.