- Understands the health and safety aspects of different forms of exercise and ensures that any statutory requirements are met.
- Plans and monitors personal fitness schedules.
- Ensures that clients do not injure themselves through over exertion or using incorrect training techniques.
- Demonstrates and leads fitness activities and supervises exercise classes.
- Devises programmes of training appropriate to the needs of clients with varying levels of strength, fitness and ability.
- Assesses the fitness levels of clients.
Typical Education Level
Level 3 NVQ; A Levels
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 6% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for fitness instructor is £17,118
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 860. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for fitness instructor roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £17,118 per year. That is about £1,427 per month or £8.78 per hour. New workers generally start on £11,336, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £31,138
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 860 people are employed in the region.