Groundsman or greenkeeper
- Rolls, mows and waters grass, marks out pitches.
- Monitors and maintains the quality and condition of turf.
- Moves soil to alter surface contour of land using mechanical equipment and constructs appropriate landscaping features and maintains such features.
- Cuts and lays turf using hand and machine tools and repairs damaged turf.
- Levels ground and installs drainage system as required.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 26% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for groundsman or greenkeeper is £17,979
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 1,037. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for groundsman or greenkeeper roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £17,979 per year. That is about £1,498 per month or £9.22 per hour. New workers generally start on £17,472, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £28,912
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 1,037 people are employed in the region.