Roofer, Roof Tiler or Slater
- Seals edges of roof with mortar and ensures that joints are watertight.
- Lays, aligns and secures successive overlapping layers of roofing material.
- Lays and secures underfelt and covers with hot bitumen or other adhesive compound.
- Cuts wooden battens, felt and underfelt to required size.
- Measures roof or exterior wall and calculates required amounts of underfelt, tiles, slates or thatching material.
Typical Education Level
Level 3 NVQ; A Levels
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 10% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for roofer, roof tiler or slater is £25,173
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 600. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for roofer, roof tiler or slater roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £25,173 per year. That is about £2,098 per month or £12.91 per hour. New workers generally start on £13,686, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £33,654
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 600 people are employed in the region.