- Oils and greases machine and checks ropes.
- Watches control panel for warning lights and indications of wind speed and direction and carrying capacity of crane.
- Lifts load or cage, or hauls object into required position and lowers or positions for ground workers to detach, unload or load.
- Manipulates levers, switches and pedals to rotate jibs into position and turns winding drum to raise or lower hook, bucket or other holding equipment.
- Starts crane or engine motor and checks that cables run freely and that brakes and drum(s) are working.
- Gives signals for movement of cage carrying workers/equipment.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 24% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for crane driver is £22,737
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 251. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for crane driver roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £22,737 per year. That is about £1,895 per month or £11.66 per hour. New workers generally start on £25,438, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £61,113
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 251 people are employed in the region.