- Withdraws samples for quality control testing, removes and regulates discharge of batch material upon completion of processing.
- Cuts and trims skins, hides and pelts, removes wool, hair, flesh and other waste material, and washes, limes, tans, dyes and otherwise treats hides for making into leather, skin and fur products.
- Operates machines to coat film and tape with sensitising material and otherwise impregnate materials by immersion, split and mould mica and produce asbestos pipes and sheets.
- Operates kilns, furnaces and ovens to produce charcoal, coke and other carbon products.
- Regulates input of polymer into melting unit, extrudes polymer, gathers extruded filaments and feeds strands through rolling, cutting and treatment units to produce synthetic fibre.
- Prepares dye, bleaching, water repellent, fixing salt and other chemical solutions to finish and treat textiles.
- Loads prescribed quantities of ingredients into plant equipment, starts operational cycle, monitors instruments and gauges indicating conditions affecting the peration of the plant and adjusts controls as necessary.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 21% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
£29,032 Average wage
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for chemical or related process operative is £29,032
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 630. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for chemical or related process operative roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £29,032 per year. That is about £2,419 per month or £14.89 per hour. New workers generally start on £16,158, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £44,832
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 630 people are employed in the region.
Occupations similar to:
Chemical or Related Process Operative