- Carries out minor maintenance tasks and prescribed tests and reports any faults.
- Records instrument readings periodically and shuts down turbine/generator or boiler as demand decreases.
- Adjusts controls to maintain correct running speed of turbine or generator and monitors temperature and pressure controls on boilers.
- Operates remote control panel to load fuel and remove discharged fuel elements from nuclear reactors.
- Opens valves and operates controls to regulate the flow of fuel to boiler or generating equipment.
- Determines job requirements from switchboard attendant or operating instructions.
Typical Education Level
Level 3 NVQ; A Levels
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 23% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
£31,766 Average wage
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for energy plant operative is £31,766
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 124. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for energy plant operative roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £31,766 per year. That is about £2,647 per month or £16.29 per hour. New workers generally start on £17,103, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £60,812
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 124 people are employed in the region.
Occupations similar to:
Energy plant operative