- Sets and operates presses for stamping patterns and labels on textiles, clothing, pottery, footwear and other leather goods.
- Sets and operates machines for cutting paper to specified dimensions or for folding or binding to produce finished paper items.
- Carries out routine maintenance and cleaning of printing machine.
- Starts reprographic or printing machine and monitors operation for paper misfeeds and error messages, removes blockages and replaces damaged paper, and monitors quality of output.
- Loads photocopiers, office printers, duplication machines and other reprographic equipment with stationery.
- Sets controls to control the speed, pressure and ink flow of printing machine.
- Positions printing plates, loads inks into reservoirs and loads paper rolls or sheets into printing press.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 33% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
£21,275 Average wage
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for printing machine assistant is £21,275
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 391. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for printing machine assistant roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £21,275 per year. That is about £1,773 per month or £10.91 per hour. New workers generally start on £14,287, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £34,540
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 391 people are employed in the region.
Occupations similar to:
Printing machine assistant