- Cleans and oils machine and reports or remedies any mechanical faults.
- Embroiders decorative designs on textiles with machine stitching.
- Performs hand sewing tasks in the making, trimming and finishing of fur, sheepskin, leather, upholstery, mats, carpets, umbrellas and other textile products.
- Examines fabrics of all types to identify imperfections and determine best method of repair.
- Operates standard and specialised machines to sew, finish and repair garments and other textile, fabric, fur and skin products.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 35% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for sewing machinist is £15,113
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 516. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for sewing machinist roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £15,113 per year. That is about £1,259 per month or £7.75 per hour. New workers generally start on £8,850, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £25,884
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 516 people are employed in the region.