Elementary construction occupation
- Helps diver into and out of diving suit, maintains communication with submerged diver and checks equipment and time spent under water.
- Operates, cleans and lubricates valves and sluices, removes weeds, dead animals and other debris from waterways and carries out minor repairs to banks and footbridges.
- Excavates, constructs and maintains land drainage systems and prepares graves for burial.
- Measures and fixes timber and other structures to support excavations, cables or other rail, signal and telecommunications equipment.
- Heats and breaks up blocks of asphalt, bitumen or tar, stirs melting mixture, adds aggregate if required, pours mixture into buckets.
- Covers ceilings, floors, walls and exposed surfaces of boilers, pipes and plant with insulating material.
- Performs general labouring tasks such as digging trenches and foundations, removing wall coverings, and preparing surfaces by cleaning, sanding, filling, etc..
- Cleans equipment and tools, clears work area and otherwise assists building and woodworking trades workers as directed.
- Mixes mortar, grouting material, cement screed, and plaster, prepares adhesive, primer and paints and similar construction material, and undertakes basic decorating, painting, plumbing and other maintenance and repair tasks.
- Assists with the erection of ladders, scaffolding and work platforms, the rigging of cradles of hoisting equipment and the attaching of slings, hooks and guide ropes.
- Conveys blocks, bricks, stone, mortar, roofing, felt, slates, wood and other building materials to the work area.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 13% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for elementary construction occupation is £16,887
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 4,728. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for elementary construction occupation roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £16,887 per year. That is about £1,407 per month or £8.66 per hour. New workers generally start on £15,911, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £36,508
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 4,728 people are employed in the region.