Kitchen or catering assistant
- Keeps service area well stocked.
- Prepares and serves beverages and light refreshments, accepts payment and gives change.
- Cleans and tidies service area, kitchen surfaces, crockery, cutlery, glassware, kitchen utensils and disposes of rubbish.
- Carries meat, vegetables and other foodstuffs from delivery van to storeroom and from storeroom to kitchen.
- Cleans or prepares food for cooks by hand or machine.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 13% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for kitchen or catering assistant is £14,040
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 20,638. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for kitchen or catering assistant roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £14,040 per year. That is about £1,170 per month or £7.20 per hour. New workers generally start on £2,274, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £16,765
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 20,638 people are employed in the region.