- Applies decorative designs and finishes to glassware, optical glass and ceramic goods by grinding, smoothing, polishing, cutting, etching, dipping, painting or transferring patterns or labels.
- Cuts and joins unfired stoneware pipes to form junctions and gullies, moulds sealing bands on clay pipes, prepares and joins porcelain or earthenware components and assists crucible makers and stone workers with their tasks.
- Throws, casts and presses clay by hand or machine to form pottery, stoneware or refractory goods such as bricks, crucibles, ornaments, sanitary furnishings, saggars, cups, saucers, plates and roofing tiles.
- Makes models and moulds from moulding clay and plaster for use in the making and casting of pottery and other ceramic goods.
- Makes artificial eyes, laminated glass sheets or blocks, glass fibre tissue, wool, filament and matting, marks optical lenses and assembles rimless spectacles.
- Uses hand tools and operates machinery to heat, bend, shape, press, drill and cut glass.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 25% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
£15,932 Average wage
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for glass/ceramics maker, decorator or finisher is £15,932
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 106. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for glass/ceramics maker, decorator or finisher roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £15,932 per year. That is about £1,328 per month or £8.17 per hour. New workers generally start on £9,000, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £29,507
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 106 people are employed in the region.
Occupations similar to:
Glass/ceramics maker, decorator or finisher