Sales or retail assistant
- Handles returns and deals with customer complaints.
- Arranges and replenishes goods on display stands, undertakes stock checks and assists with the receipt of deliveries from suppliers into the stock room.
- Receives full or partial payment, checks validity of form of payment, writes or prints bill, receipt or docket and packages merchandise for customer.
- Advises customer making major purchase on credit terms and arranges finance as appropriate.
- Advises customer on selection, purchase, use and care of merchandise and quotes prices, discounts and delivery times.
- Discusses customer requirements, including type and price range of goods/services desired.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 15% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for sales or retail assistant is £14,528
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 30,058. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for sales or retail assistant roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £14,528 per year. That is about £1,211 per month or £7.45 per hour. New workers generally start on £4,643, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £21,544
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 30,058 people are employed in the region.