Bursary information for students aged 16-18 (2024-2025)


The 16-19 bursary fund provides 'financial support to help students overcome specific financial barriers to participation they face so they can remain in education' - ESFA 16 to 19 Bursary Fund Guidance 2024 to 2025 

Weston College will undertake a household income assessment to determine eligibility for the fund and then assess actual participation needs for the course you are enrolled on.

College maintains a list of the essential items which students will need to purchase to be able to participate in our courses.

To see the essential costs that may be supported by the bursary for 2024, please click this link.


Please note bursary applications open on the 1st August 2024 for this September. If you have any questions please email:


To be eligible you must be:

  • Aged 16, 17 or 18 on the 1st September 2024 (your date of birth will be between 31st August 2005 and 31st August 2008)
  • Undertaking a further education course
  • Able to show a residual household income (see below for explanation), of no more than £35,000.

You will not be eligible if you are:

  • A waged apprentice, or undertaking other learning or training whilst a wage is paid
  • A prison-based learner, learning whilst released on temporary licence or learning whilst in a young offenders institution
  • Undertaking a higher education course.


How am I assessed?

Discretionary Bursary 

I am a student aged 16-18 and live with a parent, parents or another relative

  • You will be financially assessed against their income
  • They will need to provide evidence of their income (3 consecutive months worth dated April 2023 onwards)
  • Your parents or carer will need to declare their gross income (e.g. wages, working tax credit, child tax credit, universal credit, housing benefit, other out-of-work benefits)
  • The College will calculate residual income by deducting, from their gross income, £1,130 for each child aged under 19 residing in the same household

Defined vulnerable groups

I am a student aged 16-19 inclusive and am an unaccompanied asylum seeker or am living in Foster Care or am a care leaver 

  • You will not be financially assessed but will need to provide a letter from your social worker or leaving care advisor to confirm your status

I am a student aged 16-18 and one of the following financial situations applies to me in my own right

You need to provide evidence of the income combination.

  • Income Support or Universal Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance and Employment Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance and Universal Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment and Employment Support Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment and Universal Credit

What support might I get?

Eligible students depending on their individual needs may receive a package of support. 

The package of support could include:

  • Free meals in FE allowance
  • Bus passes
  • Professional start-up kit or uniform
  • Childcare (through Care to Learn)
  • Field trips or residential visits directly related to your course
  • Essential books and equipment 
girl smiling on bus

Meals allowance

This provides you with £10.12 per week throughout your course (government rate of £2.53 per meal) we limit you to £3.38 per day to help you spread the money throughout the week. You can top this up with your own money.

If you’ve been awarded a meals allowance just scan or show your college ID card at the till and staff will tell you if you don’t have enough money left.

Meals allowances only start once a bursary application is fully approved and you are enrolled – it will be shown on your bursary summary page.

To be eligible for the meals allowance you (or your ‘dependent’) must receive one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Universal Credit provided any earned income (gross wages) is under £9250 (i.e. less than £7400 after tax)
  • Employment Support Allowance (income related)
  • Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit provided any earned income (gross wages) is under £16191 AND they DO NOT also receive Working Tax Credit


Parents aged under 20 at the start of their course can apply for childcare support from Care to Learn You will need to use an Ofsted-registered childcare provider.

You will be able to get up to £180 per child per week to cover childcare, taster sessions, summer holiday retainers and transport costs incurred in travelling to and from the childcare provider.

Payments are made directly to your childcare provider by the government.

Industry Placement bursary support

Some courses have an industry placement requirement. If you find yourself facing financial difficulty meeting the additional travel cost to placement, you might be eligible for additional support.

You will need to contact the Work Placement Team and outline the request and the financial challenges you are facing. 

Support will be allocated on a case by case basis.

Field trips and residential visits

You may be entitled to some help towards the cost of field trips or residential visits directly related to your course.

You will need to apply in writing, to Student Funding, giving details of the trip (where, when, overall cost), what you think you will gain from it as well as your financial needs. 

The maximum contribution per year across one or more trips is £300, any contribution will be paid directly to your curriculum area.

Bus Pass

All eligible bursary students who need support with the cost of getting to college can request support for a 5 day "bus pass" for the Spring and Summer terms, these cannot be exchanged for money or transferred to the rail network.

Students can opt for:

Weston College also offers a 7 day First Bus pass. Approved bursary students can opt to pay an additional £55 per term to upgrade their free 5 day pass to the 7 day one. This must be done before you activate the 5 day voucher code otherwise you will pay the full, unsubsidised cost for the 7 day pass.

Professional start-up kit and uniform (course equipment)

Some courses require students to have specialist clothing, equipment, or set textbooks in order to participate e.g. hair and beauty kit, chefs knives or specialist dance shoes.

College maintains a list of course essential items and will either provide them as a 'payment in kind' or reimburse you against a receipt for the specific item.

Ready to apply for a bursary?

Click Here!

Apply or find out more

Marketing Permissions

Once we have your booking we would love to keep you informed of other, similar events you may be interested in. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your personal information will be processed in line with our privacy notice available on our policy page. Is this ok (please tick)?


By submitting this form you are consenting to Weston College recording and processing the personal information on this form, for any purposes of the college associated with the provision of advice and guidance to potential students on the range of courses available to them, college facilities and any other associated information. In accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, the information will only be used for the above mentioned purposes.

You will need to complete a full enrolment form prior to starting your course.

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

One Message, Different Voices

Take a look at this powerful film made by the staff of Weston College to show how important it is for everyone from different backgrounds to be included. The film shares heartfelt stories and interviews with a diverse group of staff, showing how accepting different identities and backgrounds can make a big difference. Its purpose is to encourage viewers to think about their own biases and work towards making our community more welcoming to all. We invite everyone, regardless of their background, to join us and be a part of our journey toward a more inclusive future.

Halo workplace logo

Our workplace champions the right of staff to embrace all Afro-hairstyles. We acknowledge that Afro-textured hair is an important part of our Black employees’ racial, ethnic, cultural, and religious identities, and requires specific styling for hair health and maintenance. We celebrate Afro-textured hair worn in all styles including, but not limited to, afros, locs, twists, braids, cornrows, fades, hair straightened through the application of heat or chemicals, weaves, wigs, headscarves, and wraps. In this workplace, we recognise and celebrate our colleagues’ identities. We are a community built on an ethos of equality and respect where hair texture and style have no bearing on an employee's ability to succeed.