- Operates retractable gangway or positions mobile staircases to enable passengers and crew to board and disembark aircraft.
- Loads aircraft with luggage, in-flight meals, refreshments and other items.
- Loads and unloads conveyor belts to transport luggage between terminal buildings and aircraft, monitors conveyor belts and clears any blockages.
- Directs the ground movement of aircraft at airports.
- Refuels aircraft from mobile tankers.
Typical Education Level
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 23% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
£32,526 Average wage
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for air transport operative is £32,526
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 324. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for air transport operative roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £32,526 per year. That is about £2,711 per month or £16.68 per hour. New workers generally start on £9,527, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £36,700
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 324 people are employed in the region.
Occupations similar to:
Air transport operative