Library clerk or assistant
- Performs simple repairs on old books.
- Classifies, labels and indexes new books.
- Issues library material and records date of issue/ due date for return.
- Locates and retrieves material on request for borrowers.
- Sorts, catalogues and maintains library records.
Typical Education Level
Level 3 NVQ; A Levels
Will retirement created job openings
In the UK, 40% in this profession are aged 55 or above.* They will likely retire in the next 10 years, creating a demand for new workers
*This is based on national data
Average annual earnings
The current average wage for library clerk or assistant is £16,887
The number of jobs in the career for the current year is 512. Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
Over the past year, jobs have been posted for library clerk or assistant roles.
How well does it pay?
Normal pay for this occupation is £16,887 per year. That is about £1,407 per month or £8.66 per hour. New workers generally start on £4,280, while highly experienced workers can earn as much as £17,481
Is it growing or declining?
This career has remained the same over the last 2 years, and is expected to remain the same over the next 4 years. Currently, 512 people are employed in the region.