Hospitality Team Member, Apprenticeship
A hospitality team member can work in a range of establishments, for example bars, restaurants, cafés, conference centres, banqueting venues, hotels or contract caterers.
Specialist areas in hospitality include food and beverage service, serving alcoholic beverages, barista, food preparation, housekeeping, concierge and guest services, reception, reservations and conference and banqueting.
The role is very varied and although hospitality team members tend to specialise in an area, they have to be adaptable and ready to support team members across the business, for example during busy periods. As the name suggests, being a team member and able to work with others is hugely important in this role.
As a Weston College student you will become part of our exciting new Career Excellence Hub in Hospitality and Catering. This means you will take part in a study programme with lots of career boosting benefits, all with the aim of giving you the opportunity to become career ready!
What does the course involve?
The most important part of the role is developing fantastic ‘hospitality’ skills and knowledge such as recognising customer needs, knowing how to match them to the products and services of the business and working as part of a team to ensure that every customer, whether they are eating in a restaurant, drinking cocktails in a bar, ordering room service in a hotel or attending a business conference feels welcomed and looked after.
All hospitality team members must have the following introductory knowledge:
- Understand what hospitality means; the culture of the industry and why delivering a customer experience to meet and exceed customer’s expectations is so important to hospitality businesses.
- Appreciate the importance of hospitality behaviours such as personal conduct, being adaptable, using initiative and communicating with a diverse range of people.
- Know the range of businesses and establishments that make up the hospitality industry, their differences and similarities and the variety of job roles and progression opportunities that are available.
How will the course be assessed?
You will work on a portfolio as we go through the course and have an End Point Assessment (EPA).
What future study opportunities and careers are there?
You may like to progress onto the Hospitality, Supervisory and Leadership Diploma or equivalent apprenticeship.
What do I do next?
- Ready to apply – please use the ‘apply now’ button at the top of this page.
- I’d like to visit and see the facilities and chat to staff – see when our next open event is here: Events | Weston College
- I have a quick question – use our Live Chat facility on the bottom right of this page
Minimum 5 GCSE grade 9-2 with at least two at grade 4 (including maths and/or English) or a qualifying level 1 qualification.
Occupations related to Hospitality Team Member, Apprenticeship
Hotel or Accommodation Manager/Proprietor
Job holders in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources of hotels, hostels, lodging homes, holiday camps, holiday flats and chalets, and organise the domestic, catering, and entertainment facilities on passenger ships.
Employment in region: 906 positions
Restaurant or Catering Establishment Manager/Proprietor
Restaurant and catering establishment managers and proprietors plan, direct and co-ordinate the catering services of restaurants, hotels and large-scale catering services within other organisations.
Employment in region: 3,809 positions